
On our first adoption trip to China in 2004, I remember thinking I would be very emotional in China when I first held Karah. I told Mary on the bus that day that I hoped I didn't lose it and just break down and weep at the orphanage. When we did finally arrive at the orphanage, I was indeed emotional but it was a nervousness. The rest of the trip was very exciting and fast paced. When we finally arrived home, I was sitting in the chair cradling Karah in my arms & I had rocked & sang her to sleep, as I gazed at her, the flood of emotion I had expected to have in China finally hit me and I wept a lot. You see, the joy of saving a child from being institutionalized is mixed with the sadness and anger of her being abandoned. How could such a precious child be let go by her parents? I did not understand until I read a book entitled "Wanting a Daughter, Needing a Son - Abandonment, Adoption and Orphanage Care in China." It is a book of facts. For anyone who has heard rumors of China selling it's girls or that they do not value them, this book dispels those stereotypes. I highly recommend it for anyone who truly wants to understand.
1 comment:
Hi Tim,
Thanks a lot for sharing the love and joy in your family. This blog looks great! I look forward to reading more stories and seeing more photos here. Have a wonderful trip! :)
Lannie
Post a Comment